Tuesday, December 31, 2013

2013: The Year in Review

Well it's been quite a year.  I've ran twelve races, four 5k's, one duathlon, two mud runs, two 10k's and three half marathon while logging 122.99 km.  Or so says Map My Run on my iPhone.  If the courses are accurate, it should have added up to 119 km.  Anyways, 122.99 km in races and 521.21 km of running on my own for a total of 644.2 km.  This doesn't seem like a lot considering in 2012 I ran 467 km and didn't start running seriously until July.  Last August I did go crazy though, running 160.79 km for the month, running 5-7k nearly every day and sometimes running twice if I missed a day.  The closest I've come to that total was 90.4 km in February.  I was advised by a more experienced runner to allocate rest days to avoid injury.

My Wall of Bibs

On my way to completing those 12 races, I earned myself 7 medals.  My first race was the Brita Resolution Run on New Year's morning.  No medal, but we received a nice blue jacket, except the zippers on my pockets both stopped zipping properly.  Shortly after that, I began training for the Fargo Half set in May, where I received my first medal.  A month later, I ran the Manitoba Half, beating Fargo's time and earning my second medal at which point developed the desire to earn medals.  July became a busy month, in which I ran 5 races.  First up was the 20 min challenge, a free 5k run in which we received a free hat.  Next up that weekend was the Morden Try-a-du (2k run, 10k bike, 3k run).  I had done a couple of brick training sessions to get used to the transitioning from running to biking and back to running.  Following the race, to my surprise, we each received a finisher's medal.  A week later was Color Me Rad, a 5k color run in which we wore white and got bombed by color powder and liquids.  No medal was awarded.  That next weekend was Mud Hero, a 6k mud run where I received my forth medal. 

Fargo Half, MB Half, Mud Hero, Morden Try-a-du, Winnipeg 10&10, WFPS Half, Santa Shuffle
Three weeks later, I participated in the Dirty Donkey, another mud run, but this time it was 5k.  Again, no medal was awarded, but each finisher received an orange Buff.  Towards the end of August was the Fort Whyte Twilight run, a 10k race after dusk.  Again, no medal was awarded, but we received a headlamp.  September would mark my second 10k race, the Winnipeg 10 & 10.  I finished with a new personal best and my fifth medal.

My third Half Marathon would be a difficult one, as I returned to work, but on nights.  I completed the race with an unfavorable time, but had just finished working 13 hour shift.  I also received my sixth medal.  From then until December, I had a 6 week period in which I had not ran due to work, an injury sandwiched between a couple of colds and quite a few social events in which some I was part of the planning.  I signed up for the Santa Shuffle knowing things would have settled down by then.  It was a cold one, but completed it for my 7th and final medal of the year.  Very few 5k's award medals, and this was my first.

There are a lot of races out there and many medals to be had.  I'd like to try new races if possible, but will likely run a few of the same races again in 2014.  I have just registered for the Fargo Half in May and will commence training tomorrow, on January 1st.  I also know that I'll be running the WFPS Half again for sure.  Reason being...



 ...I won a free entry through their Facebook page.  Score!  I'm considering the Fargo Half again, as it was by far my favorite race to date.  The Manitoba Half is high on my list as well, since I know so many people who participate.  I'd also like to go try the Rock 'n Roll Vegas half in November as I've heard that is an amazing event to experience.  A more recent one that I've added to my bucket list is the Bermuda Marathon Weekend which is held in January.  I have a friend who lives out there, but due to life, have not had the opportunity to go.  Unfortunately it's too late to register or plan to go in 2014, but I want to make it a strong possibility in 2015.  This one features 3 races, a 1k on Friday evening, a 10k Saturday morning and your choice of a half or full marathon on Sunday.  Each race awards a different medal and if you participate in all three events, you earn a forth medal.

Well 2013 proved to be a very eventful year for myself.  Many firsts, a few personal bests and a lot of fun times with old and new friends.  I look forward to what 2014 may bring while striving to reach my goals.  I hope to improve on my running by breaking personal bests and becoming an overall better runner.  Here's a 3 min montage video recapping my year in running.  Have a Safe and Happy New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment