Monday, July 27, 2015

Winnipeg 10&10 10k (Race Recap)

The Winnipeg 10&10 10k would be my last race of the year.  I had worked Friday night and slept most the day on Saturday.  When I attempted to sleep Saturday night, I only managed maybe 2 hours of sleep and woke up about 4:30am.  Having so much time that morning, I made myself a bacon and egg wrap.  After eating, I finished getting ready and drove down town.  I arrived to the site just after 8am.  The 30k started at 7:30 and the 10 mile started at 8:00, so Steph and Bryan already started.  I ran into Janelle and waited for our 8:30 start.  She had ran the Electric Donkey 5k the night before and almost bailed on this morning's race, but I was glad to see a familiar face.  She was wearing the black tech shirt that came with our kit and I commented that I don't like wearing the associated shirt for that race, because everyone looks the same.  She liked it and said it was comfy.

The race started and we ran together for the beginning.  10 min run, 1 min walk and back to the run.  After about 4 min I needed to rest again and told Janelle that I was hanging back.  We wished each other luck and we separated.  I continued to run as much as I could, but needed many rest walks.  Maybe 15 min later, I spotted Janelle up ahead.  I tried to pick up my pace while walking when needed, trying to catch up.  I eventually caught up, let out a sigh, looked at her and realized it wasn't even Janelle.  Just someone else who looked similar from behind wearing the same tech shirt.  A little embarrassed, I got into a jog again hoping this girl didn't notice anything odd.  She was wearing orange shoes and could not remember what color shoes Janelle was wearing.  At about half a click to the turn around point Janelle passed by me and we waved.  She was actually wearing pink/purple shoes.

I hit the halfway point, looped around and made my way back.  The 2nd half was definitely slower.  I could feel the effects of the lack of sleep as well as my breakfast wrap with no port-a-potties spotted on the way down.  I did my best running and walking when needed.  I don't recall at what point in my run this was, but I heard a Map My Run (MMR) alert through my ear buds.  I thought to myself, that it couldn't be Bryan finishing the his 10 miles already, could it?  The rest of the run was pretty uneventful, except with 1k left, we had to cross a street around some pylons.  There was a big puddle on my left, so I ran just outside of it.  All of a sudden my left hand hit something.  I looked to my left and let out an ahh as it startled me.  A man on a bike was trying to ride past me.  Like wtf, there's so much room everywhere, yet he drives through a puddle that close to my left.  Idiot.

I finally reached Broadway which was a down hill slope and across Osborne to the finish line.  A girl placed a medal over my head and I grabbed a water.  Bryan was waiting further up.  He told me his time and told him about the MMR alert and figured it was him.  I grabbed some chocolate milk and we got a picture taken at the finish line.  We walked around a bit, but nothing at ManyFest was open yet.  It wasn't even 10am and the food trucks didn't open for another hour.  I decided to go home and take a nap, seeing as I was going to the Bomber game (CFL Football) that afternoon.  The results were posted online a few days later.  My time was 1:22:51.1.  Faster than I thought, as I guessed between 1:25-30.  Not bad, I'm satisfied enough with that time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment